Thursday, December 7, 2023

COP28 Overview & Thoughts!

 Just one year ago, I was reading posts on this blog as a homework assignment while Dr. Husic was at COP27. Now, I am writing my own post on this blog after attending COP28! I want to start by saying how incredibly lucky and grateful I feel to have had the opportunity to attend COP28. I have learned and gained so much from this experience. 

The first couple of days at COP28 were spent exploring the venue, figuring out how COP works, and getting adjusted. During this time, we went to a few pavilions and attended the opening ceremony, where the gavel was handed over from the President of COP27 to the new President of COP28. As we got more comfortable, we started attending more talks, panels, and pavilions! From hearing Madagascar talk about their early warning systems to a film screening about the ocean, we really saw it all. My favorite talk was about Green Chemistry put on by Yale University. I had never heard of the field of green chemistry prior to this, so I feel like I learned a lot. For example, they talked about Air Company, which is a company that developed technology to turn carbon dioxide into jet fuel. If all jet fuel companies adapted this technology, it would bring about a 10.8% reduction in emissions! Talks like this and many others proved to be valuable learning opportunities. 

On Sunday, we had the privilege of seeing Hillary Clinton talk about women and climate resilience. We did not catch the whole talk, but what we heard was great! It was awesome to see such a recognizable figure talking about something I am passionate about. This was definitely a trip highlight! Other notable highlights from this trip were the amazing food, making memories with friends, and sightseeing. We were able to go to the Dubai Mall and the Burj Khalifa one evening after the conference and it was amazing! Being able to see things in person that I had only previously seen in photos was unbelievable.

Overall, this trip was surreal and went by entirely too fast. From sightseeing to attending talks to collecting pins at pavilions, I think I speak for myself and my friends when I say we had an unforgettable time. I experienced so many different cultures, languages, and opinions, which was really eye-opening. I feel hopeful for the future of climate action, especially after seeing almost 100,000 people gathered together for the cause! I hope to be able to attend more COPs in the future to keep expanding my horizons and learning more!

No comments:

Post a Comment